Monday, October 22, 2007

Parents....

I just wanted to vent a little about a parent I met today. We had a boy, a seventeen year old boy to be exact, start today at work. He was run over by a car when he was three, so he had a traumatic brain injury. We had tested him last week and he tested at around age 5. His mom thinks his school is failing him and they just let him roam the halls, etc. She just wants the best for him and to see him reach his full potential. Well, I met the dad today who couldn't be more different. He repeatedly called his son a retard (right in front of him) and said how dumb he was and we were probably wasting our time. He then went on to say that they just throw him in a room with other dumb retards all day only to get dumber.... My colleague and I were patiently listening to him while his wife tried to correct him and just looked completely embarrassed. He also was saying how dumb his other son was but he came out of it-keep in mind the other son didn't have a brain injury. It is infuriating how ignorant some people can be and you have to act professional the whole time. He then told us to put a bottle of Dawn liquid soap on the table when teaching him. When we asked why, he told us that at home if he doesn't cooperate he puts a drop of soap on his tongue, so that we could try that if we needed-did he honestly think we would even consider doing that! My heart went out to both the mom and the boy. It isn't surprising that some kids do not live up to their full potential...

5 comments :

Chris said...

Oh my Gosh, Lorrie! I can't believe this story. I can just imagine how angry you were inside listening to this jerk. I'm assuming that the Mom and Dad are still together? I can't imagine anyone abusing my kids in that manner--even if it is their father. Unbelievable....

Kaylyn said...

I am disgusted that people like this exist. Makes me want to take that boy home and show him the truth of who God made him to be. ugh...my heart has just broke a bit more over the craziness of some people in this world.

My Lifesong said...

Lorrie, how you could keep from kicking the father (you know where) is an amazing act of patience. Yes, it's unbelievable how some parents can be, but as a follower of Christ, I try to see some goodness in everyone. In this case, maybe it was good that the boy's mother didn't concur with the Dad, and was trying to do the best for her son.

Peace is every step said...

Wow. I can only imagine what type of abuse is occuring behind closed doors if the father is so open to his blatant abuse with you & RECOMMENDING IT!!! Is this a case for mandated reporting? I would try it out. Maybe this would link them up with services they need. I'd also try for a one on one conversation with mom to see if she needs help & resources.
My heart breaks for BOTH boys--why do you think the dad came to the appointment? Does he wish to change some behavior but doesn't know how? Sorry, the family worker in me can't help but chime in.

Julie B said...

ugh, I have had to deal with many parents like that-unfortunately! Most of the time its the fathers, who can never get over the fact that their child is different, like it's a reflection on them, that they failed somehow....
But I think the fact that he came to the appointment could be a good thing, and you actually have the ideal situation to help show him all this son can do, and more-ahem, effective ways to teach him. Hopefully this will be a positive thing in their lives...sound like they really need one.
My heart goes out to Mom as well, can you imagine what is going through her head every time he says things like that...ugh.