Thursday, January 3, 2008

Resolutions, cont...

While reading a journal of family life at work today, I came across an article that talked about easy resolutions you can make to become a better parent. A couple I found doable and I plan to implement into our daily life are:

1. Feed your kids breakfast-sounds funny right? What they mean is not shoving a pop-tart and juice box in their hand as they are running out to the bus or hurrying them through a bowl of cold cereal (guilty). The article went on to say how kids aren't getting what they need from the food they eat, etc. and feeding them balanced nutritious meals helps balance brain chemistry, which in turn helps them to learn better and feel better emotionally and physically. Some ideas of good breakfasts include: scrambled eggs, hard boiled eggs, whole grain toast, buckwheat pancakes, yogurt, fruit smoothies (with whey protein added in :)), and oatmeal with b. sugar, walnuts or raisins to name a few. Sounds doable to me (: At least some mornings.

2. Just say YES! Yes, I will read with you. Yes, your friends can come over. Yes, I'll play a game with you. Yes, we can go to Dairy Queen for Ice cream (I get asked that alot :)). Yes, I am listening. Yes, I love you.

There were other great ideas, but these two were my favorites and something I can implement right away.

1 comment :

Peace is every step said...

Love the tips. I'm slowly getting better at the "yes" stuff. Why is it our immediate reaction is always "NO!" ? I think it's my pure lazy-assness. :)