Saturday, January 5, 2008

Organizing tips I learned

While lying in bed the other night, I came up with two ways to help me in my quest to become organized. I do my best thinking lying in bed (:

1. Laundry is not my favorite thing to do and it shows-but I vow to change! I bought each of us our own laundry baskets, labeled them and put them all beside the dryer. Now I can fold laundry right out of the dryer and put them in each of our baskets. When baskets are full, we can then take our own baskets, put all the clothes away, and return the baskets! Easy, huh? Old method: finally take clothes out of dryer (sometimes re-dry because clothes are wrinkled) put them in basket and wait another day or two and then fold onto coffee table where they stay for days at a time until worn again or it's cleaning day and I need to polish the table! I know some of you can relate! I feel like a genius with my new method (:

Not sure why I am taking of picture of this......(:

2. Another problem we have at my house is keeping track of library books. They end up all over the house, etc. So, at Target the other day, I found a green cloth basket that looks really cute in my living room. I bought it and now have a cute place to store all the books that come home and we will never be running around frantically looking for books again.

Not sure if it will stay here as it looks like a garbage can in this picture (:

Iwill add more tips as I come up with them.....

5 comments :

Peace is every step said...

Got the same issues at our house. Especially the laundry thing. some of our clothes have that oh, so lovely "I left you in the washer for three days" smell. Love your method.

Julie B said...

I love your methods-especially the laundry one! I may have to try that, although I can just hear Greg now- "why do we need more laundry baskets? We have ONE...more is just a waste of money" :)-

Chris said...

Lorrie, hate to say this...as I think your laundry basket idea is great...but, I tried it and if I didn't get all my laundry done in one day (which I never do) then my baskets just sat in the laundry room for days and days. In my warped mind I would think..why bring the basket to their room when I'll have to keep adding to it tomorrow? I really hope it works for you and maybe it'll give me a kick in the butt to try it again in my house. Yes, I admit, I hate routine.

Chris said...

Oh yeah..your basket by the door for library books idea is fabulous! I'll try it, too.

Lorrie said...

Chris, the key is to have them be in charge of their own basket (except Sawyer). I will do wash, dry, and fold laundry but they are in charge of their basket after that. If they don't bring their basket upstairs to put away then they will just have to get their clothes from the basement everyday (and they hate that). So, I'm hoping to teach a little responsibility, too. So far, Jon (husband) is the only one bringing his clothes upstairs-big surprise, huh? The kids are so me!!