Wednesday, November 7, 2007

Goal Time!

O.k. I think if I right down my goals for the holiday season, I will feel more accountable for getting them done and then I will have a list to look at....Here we go!

1. Have all my gifts bought 2 weeks before X-mas so I can actually enjoy the season instead of running around like a mad woman, completely stressed out, and no time to do any of the fun stuff.
Yes, I am one of those crazy people on x-mas eve still trying to buy my gifts-and unfortunately it ends up being quite a few.

2. Do some holiday baking. I haven't for the last couple years and I am blaming it on the baby (: That is one tradition I love to do with the kids so I have to make sure I do it this year. Unless the pre-made Pillsbury sugar cookies count, but I am thinking no. One cookie I for sure want to do is roll out sugar cookies and have lots of decorations and frosting and letting the kids go to town!

3. Buy new Christmas decorations. This may seem simple enough but for some reason I have been using the same ones for years now and it is time for a change! If only they weren't so expensive and if only I was more crafty (but that is not one of my goals :)).

4. To decorate my house from room to room. This has fallen short the last couple years, as well. I am lucky to get the tree up and a wreath outside and once again I am blaming the baby (: This year I want x-mas candles, kitchen towels, placemats, the nativity scene, etc. out and decorations all over the house. We'll just have to put Sawyer in a cage.

5. String the outside lights before the first snow fall and before it gets to 30 below. It seems every year we (we meaning Jon) are hurrying to get the lights out on the coldest, windiest day. So the goal I guess is to get him to do it earlier. I would love to have a ton on lights all around the house but I don't think that is neccessarily Jon's goal (:

6. To go to all the fun holiday activities-The holidaze parade, the Santa train, visit Santa, etc. We didn't do any of it last year because of, once again, the baby-sorry little buddy I don't mean to blame you for everything....(: It is just that he was a little baby then and it was too cold to bring him anywhere-but I am not complaining-I would love to be home holding and snuggling him any day! He is really going to love Christmas this year-I can't wait!

7. Watch all the old Christmas shows with my family-there are so many I love-"It's a Wonderful Life", "A Christmas Carol", and you can't forget "Rudolph" and "Frosty the Snowman." Oh, and I guess you have to include "Charlie Brown." Even though that is not my favorite, but the kids enjoy it!

8. To give more~to the Food Shelf, Salvation Army, get tickets off the Giving Tree and buy gifts for the needy, make donations to a charity-last year our family gave a donation to help inner city children through.....I am drawing a blank to what the organization was-but my family knows (;

9. RELAX and enjoy myself! It is such a magical time of year and I want to enjoy it and remember the true meaning of Christmas and not get so wrapped up in the gift buying. That is one joy of being a Sunday School teacher-I get to teach the kids, as well as my own, why we are celebrating Christmas. This year for church the kids are putting on a play and Alaina has a big part and Jonnie has a speaking part, so I am so excited!! I will be more nervous for them on the big day though (:

Whew! I will probably add to my goals, but that is a good start! If you see me (hopefully it won't be on x-mas eve) feel free to ask me how they are coming along (: A life long goal of mine is to not procrastinate and if I don't do that I think I will get all my goals accomplished-wish me luck!

10 comments :

My Lifesong said...

Hey, does anyone want to get together for a cookie exchange?

Chris said...

Great goals, Lorrie! I think that I'll just copy off your list and use it as my own, 'cause I want to accomplish all the same things. Are we two peas in a pod, or what? Oh yeah, the charity we gave to was the family that Danielle works with--remember how fun that was?

Lorrie said...

That was the year before Chris (: Last year we all went with ??? and some of us bought a goat, etc for Africa and we helped kids in the U.S. I don't remember what your family did, but I just can't remember what the organization was-I know it is common and popular..... And, yes I would like to do a cookie exchange-sounds fun!

Julie B said...

World Vision!!!
Great goals...I may have to steal them too :) I was smiling the whole time I was reading it :)

I too want to enjoy Christmas and have already started to find safe recipes for cooking! I am determined to have great meals, not just a few plain things to eat...thats my goal!

You'll have to let us know how your doing on these goals!

Peace is every step said...

Holy crap. Good luck with that.

Chris said...

Oh yeah, now I remember!! Do the years fly by, or what??!! That really makes me nervous now. I can't remember from one year to the next!

My Lifesong said...

Hooray for FlyLady!

Kaylyn said...

awesome goals! that's a great idea writing them all down! as for decorating the whole house and buying new decorations- here are some tips on how to do "frugal" christmas decor that looks like it cost a lot:

--from the yard or craft store- cover pine cones in glue and let the kids go crazy with glitter (silver looks really pretty!) display them in glass bowls in the bathroom

--Buy iron-on transfer paper and get beautiful christmas scenes/images from google and iron them onto kitchen towels (they are at dollar stores)

--let the kids color several christmas pictures on white paper. Then hang a pretty ribbon from fireplace or any wall. Use clothes pins (you can paint them if you wanted) to hang them from the ribbon. Makes a great garland! :)

I can't wait to start decorating- and hopefully it will be in our new house this year! Make sure to take pictures of all the great decorating!

Chris said...

Kaylyn--what awesome ideas!! Keep them coming, girl. We could all use your help, it seems! :)

Anonymous said...

Keep up the good work.