Saturday, June 23, 2012

Family Book Club-Week 2

We wrapped up a successful week 2!  We'll start with Alaina again...

Alaina read, My Sister's Keeper By: Jodi Picoult

Anna is not sick, but she might as well be. By age thirteen, she has undergone countless surgeries, transfusions, and shots so that her older sister, Kate, can somehow fight the leukemia that has plagued her since childhood. The product of preimplantation genetic diagnosis, Anna was conceived as a bone marrow match for Kate—a life and a role that she has never challenged...until now. Like most teenagers, Anna is beginning to question who she truly is. But unlike most teenagers, she has always been defined in terms of her sister—and so Anna makes a decision that for most would be unthinkable, a decision that will tear her family apart and have perhaps fatal consequences for the sister she loves.

Alaina's thoughts: I thought the book was really good and the ending was shocking.  I liked that the book showed the view point of all the family members as well as other important people involved in the book.  It was nice to hear how everyone felt.  I highly recommend this book and it made me really think afterward.  Alaina rated it 5 stars out of 5.

Jonnie decided to read James and the Giant Peach By: Roald Dahl with Sawyer and I as he was always in the room listening to us (: 

James Trotter loses his parents in a horrible accident and is forced to live-miserably-with his two wicked aunts. Then James is given some magic crystals that give him hope. But when he accidentally spills these crystals on an old peach tree, strange things begin to happen. A peach starts to grow and grow until James is able to climb inside and escape his awful aunts! And through this adventure, he makes some interesting friends, including Grasshopper, Earthworm, Miss Spider, and Centipede, and finally finds a place where he belongs.
Jonnie's thoughts: I really liked this book.  My favorite part was when the peach landed on the Empire State Building and policemen were calling it funny names.  I also thought it was cool that they lived inside the peach and I think it would be fun to do that.  I would definitely recommend this book.  Jonnnie rated it 4 stars out of 5.

Sawyer's thoughts: I loved this book! The most exciting part was when the cloud men were throwing snow balls at them in the peach.  I thought the centipede was really funny because he said bad word sometimes! (haha-of course he would love that part :)) I would highly recommend this book.  Sawyer rated it 10 stars out of 5 (:

Another successful week and I am so thrilled to be sharing some of my favorite books with the kids!

Week 3 books are:

Alaina-Water for Elephants By: Sara Gruen
Jonnie-The Giver By: Lois Lowry
Sawyer-The family Under the Bridge By: Natalie Savage Carlson

No comments :