Thursday, April 17, 2008

I could never be a dentist...


Well, maybe if people's teeth were clean and white and their breath smelled great. Why, you ask am I bringing this up? Well, to answer that question we have to go back to this afternoon when Alaina and I were in the car waiting to pick up Jonnie. She was leaned in really close telling me about her day when I saw it. Now, you have to know that I am always making sure the kids brush faithfully every morning and night. What I saw was some of her bottom teeth were full of tartar-only about three as the others looked great and clean. I made her open her mouth so I could investigate more and to my horror, her one tooth looked discolored and her gums were red and swollen all around it. She then informed me that it has been hurting all week and that it is really loose. She said she hasn't been brushing that area for about a week because it hurt so bad. All I could think of was that it was an abscess or something like that. When I mentioned the dentist she burst out crying and refused to let me look at it anymore-have I mentioned how hormonal she has been? I vaguely heard something about wanting to die in the back seat-such drama!

Anyway, to make a long story short, I told her I was going to brush her teeth tonight (I couldn't stop thinking about that tartar on her teeth and I had to get it off) really gently and clean around the sore area and see for myself if I had to bring her into the dentist tomorrow. So, I brushed her teeth and gently went around the tooth and realized it was REALLY loose. As I was brushing she said it was starting to feel a little better, so that just got me brushing it more and more. I secretly reached around and grabbed some toilet paper and before she new it I had it in her mouth and grabbed that horrible tooth! She screamed in horror and in one second it came out without me even pulling on it. O.K. here comes the gross part-After the tooth came out all this crud that was underneath it plopped out onto her lip. It was greenish, yellowish and for some reason I completely lost it and start gagging and dry heaving over the toilet while she spit out blood in the sink. Jonnie was laughing so hard he was crying and poor Sawyer was so traumatized by it all and sat there with his worried face on. I think you just had to be there...(: I then composed myself and re-brushed her teeth, especially the ones that were around the hole.

My theory was that she got food stuck under the loose tooth and it was rotting underneath there and starting to make her gums infected. It looks a lot better now and the tooth is under her bed waiting for the tooth fairy. Now, lets hope the tooth fairy remembers to come tonight. Am I the only loser mother that forgets the tooth fairy sometimes? The first time I did it, I quick grabbed a dollar and put in on her night stand. I acted all surprised and said "Look the tooth fairy put it on the nightstand instead last night-she didn't forget." She fell for it. The second time I forgot, I made some lame excuse that the tooth fairy couldn't find it because it was too far under her pillow. She bought it again and the next night I felt horrible when I saw the little ziploc baggie with her tooth in it half exposed under her pillow. She was well compensated that night. I am not making myself look very good, am I? Anyway, she has lost a lot of teeth and I have remembered most of them the first night (: Ok, I kind of dragged that story out a little longer then was necessary......(: I am off to find a dollar and a piece of gum......

6 comments :

Anonymous said...

Okay, that is by far the best tooth story I have heard, I couldn't quit laughing. Karen told me she couldn't wait for me to read it. You are just too funny.
Aunt Sandy

Julie B said...

that is HYSTERICAL!! I am laughing and gagging at the same time :)

Peace is every step said...

I love it--I can just picture you gagging, Jonnie busting,and Alaina with blood all over. Poor Sawyer.

I can see myself being an awful tooth fairy as well. It's one of those things I find so weird...like the easter bunny:).

Chris said...

Oh my! You made my morning. Oh...the gag reflex. I think I'd lose it, too, if I saw that sitting on her lip. Gross! Lorrie, you should always post these stories. They are priceless......and hilarious.

My Lifesong said...

Where is the camcorder when you need it? This was by far the best tooth fairy story I ever read. And the gagging, spitting, laughing, crying brought tears of laughter to my eyes. Hmm, reminds me of the time a certain little girl stuck gum wrappers up her nose, and it was there for weeks before I discovered it...and the smell was disgusting, and made me gag!

Anonymous said...

Hello. This post is likeable, and your blog is very interesting, congratulations :-). I will add in my blogroll =). If possible gives a last there on my blog, it is about the Dieta, I hope you enjoy. The address is http://dieta-brasil.blogspot.com. A hug.