Thursday, January 8, 2009

Ok, am I really that horrible?

Two examples that I think I may be doing something wrong or I am doing it right and they are just plain wrong.

1. This morning I stumbled down to the basement in a sleep induced state to fetch my 8 year old (yes, I did say 8) a pair of jeans from the dryer that I had dried over-night. When arriving back upstairs, I see my son laying in the hallway and actually had the nerve to yell (well, in a loud voice anyway-it's all yelling to me in the morning) "You were supposed to get my jeans ready last night and have them already waiting in the hall for me this morning!" He had a mean face on, too. I have to tell you that you cannot yell at me in the morning and expect me to be silent. So, I came down on him really hard and told him that he in not entitled, I will no longer be gathering his princely clothes like a servant, etc... I mean the nerve of him, right?

2. Last night I noticed that Alaina's goldfish's tail fin was in shreds and half of it was gone. While she was at school today, like a wonderful mother, I researched the Internet to figure out what was going on. I found out that it was fin rot and it is treatable......so, off to the pet store I go (I should make you aware that we are broke this week with no extra money) because I scraped together enough $$ to buy the medication and some other fish supplies for her totalling $20, but that didn't matter as long as I save Alaina's favorite fish. After I picked her up from school, I told her the sad news and that I got meds and all should be ok-I was proud of myself for being so proactive. When we got home, I cleaned out the tank, refilled it, medicated it (not a quick, easy task) only to hear from my beautiful daughter that if the fish dies it is all my fault-did you hear that, MY fault!! When I gave her my stern mother look, she said, "Well, you didn't go get his medicine right away when you first saw that he was sick." In a snotty pre-teen voice, mind you. After letting her know that I found the shredded fish at midnight (I was still up doing laundry for the prince so he could wear his precious jeans) and that there was no way I was driving to the CLOSED pet store at that time of night, etc...she did apologize and could see my point-I think..... She is now in charge of all things fish related.

I know I shouldn't take it all personally, but geesh how much can one mother do and not be appreciated! I am starting to feel like my own mother did. Pretty soon I am going to be quoting her-"I am not your maid around here!" and the all time fave "Oh, mother tonight!"

At least there is hope for the littlest. My sweet 2 year old (when rocking him tonight) smiled up at me and said, "Wuv you, mom" That, right there, makes it all worth it.

10 comments :

Maja said...

Hahaha, I'm sorry to laugh, but man! And I thought Luci was mean... (She is a big-time scratcher/ hitter/ biter/ clawer.) You are not horrible, and I wouldn't put up with it either. I hope they are nicer to you!

Lorrie said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Lorrie said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Peace is every step said...

Oh boy, it's always fun to hear what comes out of those two mouths! Good to nip it in the bud now....good luck. :)

Lorrie said...

Alaina-just a reminder to not put any personal info. on the computer. I deleted your last post for that reason. And, yes you were.

Julie B said...

ahh Lorrie! Is that what I have to look forward to? I already get lots of attitude and its so hard to hear.

Hang in there-you are not horrible in the least.

(you might want to delete Alaina's first post as well!)

My Lifesong said...

Welcome to motherhood, the most thankless job there is, but it only takes one thank you, or I love you to make it all worth while. I'd get Jonnie started real soon on washing his own clothes if he kept up that attitude. Thanks for realizing how difficult my job was, but crying out loud, I wouldn't have had it any other way.

Chris said...

Mom--I love your post! I'm so sorry I was such a horrible child/teen. I just remember caring, but not caring. So sad....we all come around eventually, right?
I'm so sad I missed Alaina's posts. :)
Lorrie--you are a great Mom, you just have rotten kids. heehee I know Lainie will like that one. :)
Sorry to say, Jonnie is JUST like Tanner...and he hasn't grown out of it yet. He still has days, especially mornings, that I'm expected to make his breakfast and have all his clothes cleaned AND make him a lunch he likes. grrrrr
There is hope, though. Today he got up and actually made his own lunch! I was so proud.....

.....it's the little things.....

Sharyn said...

Ahhh, Lorrie, get used to it! It doesn't get better anytime soon...remember Alaina hasn't even hit the teens yet...hehe. It will be a thankless job for awhile, but I just keep telling myself "someday they will see all that I do for them"... or maybe not... who knows with my spoiled rotten kids hehe! Oh, mother tonight! :-)

Lorrie said...

Hi, Alaina here. I just want to type, I don't really know what to type ,though. School is canceled today and Sawyer's sick, so mom put me in charge of him while she works. I am kinda bored now. I am excited for Danielle's baby and my other aunt Christy is having a baby to, at the same time!