Thursday, January 29, 2009

I'm back

I needed a break for awhile and honestly didn't have a whole lot to write lately.

Fantastic Five is growing up whether I like it or not....

Alaina has been turning into a teenager before my very eyes-in good ways and trying ways. She has become friends with a group of girls that wear full make-up, all have cell-phones, and talk about things I wouldn't think they would be talking about at 10!! I am happy she tells me everything, but it just worries me all the more. I don't think she really fits in with these girls, but she just wants to belong. They are now begging her to get on facebook and a cell phone. I don't want to be an old fashioned mom, but she is only 10!! I am debating the facebook thing, but I worry so much about cyber-bullying and cyber-stalking. About the phone-who would she need to call that she can't call on our regular phone when she gets home. I told her no on that and will reconsider in Junior high. She totally understands my view which I love her for. She actually could care less about any of it, so I won't stress over it too much (: I thought I had a few more years before any of this, but girls seem to grow up so fast-why can't they stay young longer? Why do they feel the NEED to grow up so fast? I wonder if my own mom questioned the same thing when her girls were growing up....

Jonnie has been busy going to birthday parties, harassing his sister, and teaching his little brother words such as wiener. Gotta love little boys. I don't know where he gets his energy sometimes. He is always dancing, singing, wrestling (whoever is available), and making some kind of noise. I always laugh later when thinking about him, but at the time he makes me want to scream!! We are going to his school tomorrow night for Family movie night and seeing Open Season-2. He is so excited and I am hoping they are serving popcorn! (: He wants to start Karate so bad, so I am looking into classes for him. I think it will be a great way to channel his energy. One class I am looking at says a parent can learn Karate free with their child. I don't know how he would feel if I did it with him. It could go either way.

Sawyer is growing up so fast all of a sudden. He started climbing out of his crib last week, so I hope to put up his toddler bed this weekend. It is so nice to have him just walk into my room in the middle of the night instead of having to go get him (: He is also starting to use his potty chair more and more. He now takes off his diaper and goes on his own at times! It is so exciting. Tonight I let him wear a pair of underwear (nothing cuter than that) and he was so excited. After awhile he ended up peeing in them and he was so confused as to why they were all wet and itchy. He was sad when I put a diaper back on him. It is a start and I am excited for him! He is such a funny kid (: We are starting his ECFE class again tomorrow and he is so excited and can't stop talking about it-can't wait!

4 comments :

Chris said...

Awww..I miss you guys so much! First, I can't believe Sawyer's going POTTY!!! I can't get over the image of him in his cute, little underwear. My baby....
Jonnie reminds me of Tanner soooo much--with the emotions and all. Lynn's Christopher was the same way, and when he left for college Lynn was so sad. She said it was like her house died--there was no more singing. I keep remembering that through those 'want to pull my hair out-or his' moments. Jonnie's a great boy.
Alaina...boy, these pre-teen ages are tough. I'm with you--no cell phone! But I do think that facebook would be o.k. Just make sure you have her passwords and can check it all the time to see what's going on. If she's like us...she will LOVE it. :)

Peace is every step said...

I'm so glad you're back! I just read two really good books (a little ahead of my time with my own daughter...but very relevant to the girls I work with). One is "So Sexy So Soon: The New Sexualized Childhood and What Parents can Do to Protect Their Children" and "Packaging Girlhood:Rescuing our Daughter's from Marketing Schemes". Highly recommend both for this transitionary time! She's got such a reasonable idea of things, though, and I'm sure that will help as she goes along. I'm with you on the cell phone and Facebook...I'm holding off with that as long as possible. :)

Jonnie makes me laugh, his on button is always full blast!

And Sawyer! Big boy bed!! I'd love to see him curled up in there.

Lorrie said...

Thanks for the advice, guys! I am going to have to go to the library and check out those books. They sound very relevant! Thanks Chris for saying that about Lynn-it definitely helped and realized the house would be very quiet without his energy and I know someday I will miss it (:

My Lifesong said...

Thanks for the update on the kiddos. Like the girls said, I'd go slow with giving in to all the latest trends of cell phones, make-up. Isn't there an age limit on Facebook? Jonnie is a handfull, but just a typical boy. The karate may be just the thing for him. Sawyer is growing up, but just take it as he shows progress in the potty business. Maybe pull ups would be a good start for him. By the way, I enjoyed being at Alaina's concert. Can't wait til the April one.